Saturday, June 12, 2010

Motorola Droid 2


I've always been a big fan of the Motorola Droid and Milestone. The screen is beautifully crips and clear, the keyboard while not very useful for my fat fingers is a god send for the Mrs. The main attraction for me, is it just feels solid. The cold weighty steel casing gives the impression of a phone that's been built with consideration and care. Infact if Motorola opened the bootloader for the milestone I'd sell my Nexus one and purchase one without a second thought. So it goes without saying when I heard about the Motorola Droid 2 my ears pricked up and I could feel that deep down excited feeling.



The hardware specs look pretty good, not extremely impressive, but still a considerable improvement over the original. A nice and welcomed bump in processor speed from 500 to 750 and a new keyboard are just what the doctor ordered.

  • Android 2.1
  • 3.7″ screen
  • 750MHz OMAP processor
  • Wi-Fi tethering
  • 8GB internal
  • 8GB SD card preinstalled
  • Updated keyboard
  • 5MP camera
  • New version of Motoblur

The obvious let down here is no Froyo but without a release date set it's really early days. I wouldn't be supprised if there was an update for Android 2.2 shortly after release. The other interesting thing here is no front facing camera and no HDMI port. Neither of those things are a deal breaker for me. I've never been really excited by video calls and a quick transfer to a computer or laptop is easy enough to warrant a HDMI port a little redundent.

Though out of all the improvements I have to say the new boot screen is the best improvement in my opinion.







No comments:

Post a Comment